Monday, November 27, 2006
Speaking Of Crazy

It's a strange feeling, the immense appreciation for fresh air despite the fact that it smells like manure. After being cooped up in the house all weekend (see: not seeing the sun nor the outdoors from Thursday to Saturday evening), stepping outside to breathe in little atoms of poo wafting down from the country further north was very, very nice.

I've got an 18-pager due Thursday afternoon for my Sexualities class and I'm still in the middle of researching. I'm one of those nutty students who, instead of picking one topic to analyze, chooses to explore the intersection of five or more (nerd!). I'm reading about Orientalism, post-colonialism, sex tourism, exoticism, imperialism - and then some - there's lots of isms. Then there's the neo's and the post's and all the sociological theory that is so, so interesting but if I have to read anything else off this computer screen, my eyes are going to bug out of my head. My topic really is kind of neat - it's all about the Western imperialist commodification of Asian sexuality and the exoticism of Asian women. Mmm...so colonial! I'm learning all sorts of things about the tourist gaze and visual consumption, commercial sex trades, representation and of course, Eurocentricity and THE OTHER. Now I have more ammo with which to gun down people from up here on my soapbox.*

I just finished an 11-pager on Saturday about the criminalization of poverty and the homeless (after being inspired by a short paper that I wrote on immigration and housing discrimination), I'm working on another one that will analyze the lyrical themes in indie-rock music, and then one more that will look at something to do with transnationalism. I was thinking about refugees-something-something, but I've overdone that in the past so I might go back to the Imperialist Commodification of Asia thing I've got going on.

I think I might actually like school this term. See? Crazy. It's the subject matter and not the work I enjoy, but at least the papers are getting me to read.

Speaking of which, I should get back to that stack of books and articles. Enjoy your evenings over the next couple of days, ladies and gents of the Internets. Find peace in your heart knowing that I'll be here, reading and writing papers, FOREVER.


* Is it weird/extremely geeky that I managed to deconstruct this sentence and relate it to some Foucaudian theory? Alas. (Knowledge is power!)