Monday, December 18, 2006
Why Aren't I Good With Titles Anymore?

There's nothing like spending a week in Montreal almost completely disconnected from the Internets because you're busy doing other things like eating home-cooked meals [eating out too (eating, in general)], staying up late and sleeping in, trying to speak French to elderly men (but failing miserbaly and feebly asking if he speaks English), meeting new people, giving fashion advice, eating delicious faux-Vietnamese food, making your first lasagna, taking baths, playing with the cutest puppy in the world, seeing your first NHL game ever (and watching the Habs beat Tampa Bay), crying for two straight hours because Legends of the Fall* broke you that bad, setting up a Christmas tree and singing catchy Jewish tunes**, getting fancied up, and doing the French thing where you lightly kiss either cheek of the person you're greeting. Oh, and snuggling. Snuggling is awesome.

As per usual, upon arrival at home I stepped into my room and was suddenly reminded of the terrifying chaos that I have to deal with (i.e.: unpacking all the stuff that got sent home a week ago before I took off for my little trip). Predictably, I haven't unpacked a thing and instead spent my evening showering leisurely, eating, chatting with the fam, and of course, doing The Blog Thing. Are you reading Sweet Juniper? If you're a blogger, you most likely already are, and if you're not, you should be. Two posts I spent a lot of time with tonight: 405 More Reasons Not to Shop at Wal Mart and Elegy for a Father

Both posts demonstrate reasons why I love this blog: the writing is f-ing utterly fantastic (bringing you from side-spliting hilarity to tear-gushing sobs). Add to that the fact that they're young, hipster parents who aren't only tag-team bloggers, but have also taken turns doing the SAHM and the SAHD thing, and are also Anti-Materialist Indie Sonofabitch Parents who hate Wal Mart - talk about Whoa and I TOTALLY WANT TO BE YOU WHEN I GROW UP. Really, I love them because they parented the cutest baby on the internet (possibly ever), take awesome photos of their sweet little girl and post them online, which makes my stalking and baby-stealing planning that much easier. What? Really, I think I just love Juniper. Take some time, be crazy-stalkerish like me and raid that Flickr account (note the street urchin fashion style) - you'll see what I mean by cutest baby ever. And have you noticed that her name is Juniper? Juniper! Instead of saying that "I want one [a baby]" in my future, I'll just stick with "I want Juniper".

Anyway.

In regards to the latter post, one commenter left this: How fragile, life. How strong, love. How swift, tragedy. How eternal, bravery. which especially touched me. I'm no good at transitions between happy and sad, so I'm not going to bother trying to put my thoughts on James Kim into words right now, especially after just writing about how I love and might want to steal cute babies from other bloggers. Maybe I will later when I spend more time crying about the plight of humanity and Other Things That Break My Heart.


* Remember when Brad Pitt was young but still extremely good-looking?

** I get the irony.