Wednesday, March 14, 2007
Spare Me The Change

I've always been able to say that I'm the kind of the person that deals fairly well with change; I'm adaptable to new surroundings, new people and even different languages. Moving to Spain has definitely strengthened my belief that I can learn to like almost anything. I'm learning Spanish, I've adapted to a new education system, I will try morcilla (blood sausage), I will try arroz negro (rice made with baby squid and its ink) - heck, I'm living in a different country with a completely different culture. I can learn to eat lunch at 3pm and dinner at 10pm. I can figure out gas heaters and how to find peanut butter in Europe. But I cannot, for the life of me, EVER imagine liking the new version of Blogger. I think the only reason I made the switch was because I was confused. I miss signing in with my old username, I hate having to remember which Google account to use, I miss accessing my archives like I used to because they're not where they used to be (thanks for telling me, Blogger). So yeah, change? Not really a fan. At least, not in certain contexts. (I'm a picky little one, what can I say?)

Take, for example, my rapidly changing financial status. See: last semester when I was in school full-time and held down two part-time jobs (that was fun). When I left home for Europea? Totally worry free. After a month? Comfortable. Now? I'm desperate (or, as I like to call it, Financially Fucked). I'm asking the school to refund two of my courses because, in addition to thinking they're not worth my money anyway, I could do with the extra couple hundred Euros. Damn, living here is muy bien, but the cost is most certainly not. The next thing I know, I'll be selling my English on the streets for 5 Euro an hour.