Monday, May 07, 2007
Be-Late-Ed

I turned twenty-three on Tuesday and the scariest part of that wasn't that I was getting older and that life is now a count-down, but it might have been that being Almost Mid-Twenties doesn't feel much different than being Early Twenties. I've wanted to be in my Mid-Twenties since I (e-)met Dawn and her LifeUncommon and she was twenty-seven (I think...). I've since realized that being twenty-seven is closer to Late Twenties and though I have no desire to leave two-three just yet, being two-seven must be pretty awesome. I'm still writing papers two days before they're due and pulling together PowerPoint presentations in three hours (and getting a 97% - w00t). Basically, you can be a bad student no matter how young or old you are. I hope to dear goodness that I'm no longer in a formal education system by the time two-seven rolls around.

The actual day of my birthday was spent a) rubbing Adam's back as he vomited into a Spanish toilet in a lovely little B&B in a village outside of Granada b) reading The Alchemist c) indoors or d) all of the above. It must sound worse than it was because I was perfectly content where I was, be it kneeling on the bathroom floor getting sympathy pains from watching my beloved throw up his innards, holding his hand on the bed/couch as he slept, or reading a book by a fire. The days afterwards were much better and this past week was quite nice overall despite the bad spell of stomach problems. Of course, as with all good things, the time flew by and before I knew it, I was back at the airport and tearing up and not wanting to let go. The scene we made at the arrivals gate was much more exciting and happy and holding on tight and mushing our faces together. For now, we tough out another four months while I'm here and he's there and we're both sleeping in our Team AdamShirley t-shirts.