Monday, September 17, 2007
Let's Get This Started

Confession: It is officially the sixth day of school and I'm already sitting in a computer lab on campus all alone at nearly nine o'clock at night. Who does this to themselves, you may ask? A girl who has no computer, that's who. I'll get into the story later, but for now, my attitude towards technology is somewhere between Damn, I really hate you and Please come back, I need you. Which is actually not unlike my attitude towards relationships at the moment, but again, that's for later.

My luck the past month and a half that I've been back in the country hasn't been the greatest. First my family gets caught up in a heck of a lot of drama that apparently I started, then I get broken-hearted, then my online identity gets hacked (later!), and then my bike breaks. I'm now computer-less and bike-less, and this is why, ladies and gentlemen, I am sitting here in this lab all by my lonesome. If I wait just a little longer, I'll get home at about the same time as my roommate and maybe we can have another reading party or have some tea and cake. That'd be nice, among the other not-so-nice things going on right now.

Classes suck (see: marketing, accounting and finance in the same term for a non-business student, and an extremely dull third-year sociology class for a fifth-year seminar student who's SO OVER lecture stylez) and I'm trying to stay busy (because that means earning money) and do things I like (which means spending potential money-earning time doing things like acting and taking voice lessons which, unfortunately, do not earn me money. Yet) all with a very tight schedule that mysteriously formed because the last time I checked, I swear I only had four classes that only started at four pm each day. Any free time I have is spent wondering what my life will be like in three and a half months, trying to figure out the weather and reading Eat Pray Love. I think I like it, but not like everyone else. It's strange to read someone else's account of India and Gurus and the such when I experienced it myself, and so differently too. I am, however, not riding my bike nor going to the gym in my free time. I hope this will change.

I've already taken off for a weekend and enjoyed myself immensely in our nation's capital. Ottawa is a fabulous city and I fall in love with it every time I go back. I did the jail hostel thing, I did the tourist thing, the market thing, the clubbing thing and oh yeah, the meet-the-man-of-your-dreams-thing. Meet Joel. Joel has a bachelor apartment right in the market with a Cambodian bedspread and a Mac. Joel had platters of sushi and exotic fruits and berries waiting for his guests when they arrived. Joel owns a tagine (and cooks with it!) and a hookah. Joel has been to nearly every part of the world that I adore and he takes amazing photographs with a big fancy SLR. Joel lived in Taiwan for two years and speaks Mandarin and French and Spanish and learned photography in Mandarin and his shelves are lined with all sorts of language, international, globalization-type books. Joel? Has a girlfriend that he's been dating for four years. Of course, I say now that he's probably too much like me for my own good anyway. Somebody that likes everything I like wouldn't keep me interested for too long. It'd be like dating myself. Oy.

Things I'm looking forward to include:
- acing my audition tomorrow night for a play
- discovering that my singing voice has not all together upped and left my sorry arse behind
- having a life that somehow balances loads of free time and enjoyable work
- fiesta social! housewarming party!
- having money again
- nuit blanche
- finding my dream job (with a side of dream man wouldn't hurt, either)