Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Start New

And how to start loving again is like the problem of architects in an old city: how to build where houses once stood, so it will look like those times but also like now.

- Yehuda Amichai


Regarding love, I think that that quote is one of the most poignant things I have ever read and is also one of the most commonly felt, yet rarely well-expressed feelings I've ever come across. It's a familiar one, to be sure, and yet I never knew that I felt it so precisely until I read it. For bringing Amichai into my life (among a plethora of other things): Thanks, Shan.

I meant to include that quote in a post I was working on around the New Year when I was about to officially introduce Adam to my blogging audience. I worked on that post during the course of the year and by the time summer rolled around, I still hadn't finished it. I guess not posting it in the end turned out to be a good thing, seeing as we're not together anymore. Did my brain tap into some subconscious foreshadowing? Online, at least, I managed to save myself from a bit more of that foolish embarrassment that comes with having faith in a relationship and then having both the faith and the relationship drop out of the bottom of your heart. A feeling all too familiar to me, much like Amichai's musing. That feeling of having everything razed, to stand at ground zero and wonder, How am I going to build that up again?... I did not know it was so central to my being until I knew that someone else had felt it too.