Monday, November 19, 2007
Day Off

I took the day off today - I slept in so late that my wonderful, caring roomie actually knocked at 8:30am and then stood in the doorway looking confused and concerned. It's okay, I said, they'll understand. I called into work telling them that I wasn't feeling well, which was true. Thank goodness I worked extra hours last week so that I don't have so many to make up for this week. The next thing I did was call the school. Counselling services is booked up until the second week of December, so my only bet is to call in every morning to see if there's any cancellations I can jump in on. I've called twice today already.

In order to help myself feel better about the day, I made my eyes look prettier, put on a bright sweater and headed out towards the grocery store. I stopped in at the public library first, but both their copies of Little Miss Sunshine were taken out. I browsed the aisles at the Valu-Mart and left with the necessities from last week: milk, bread and eggs. The bread was so fresh it was still steamy hot inside the paper bag. I got some fancy crackers, tomatoes and jalepeno havarti. I had a nice little chat with an older lady in front of the cheese section. Jalepeno havarti is her favourite too.

I cut right into the loaf of bread when I got home and made myself a nice warm meal. Some garlic, onions, basil and oregano can make anything taste that much better. I did the dishes. I had Norah Jones playing on repeat in the background and although I didn't intend to, I missed office hours at my other job and skipped class too. Once the day is gloomy enough and I've sat at home for even a little bit with some nice music, the last thing I want to do is head out into the rainy cold.

I tried to be somewhat productive and did some preliminary research for a paper I'm writing on water sovereignty. Mostly, I just sat here. I admit that I was a tad lonely today - I had an upsetting conversation with my ex-boyfriend last night and didn't sleep very well. Today, all I wanted to do was curl up on a couch under a blankie in someone's arms and let Miss Jones' soothing tones warm me up. Unfortunately, I had neither a set of arms nor a couch, so I just sat in my roommate's room at her computer. I've decided that days off are that much better when there is the following at your disposal:
1. a couch
2. a blankie
3. a TV
4. a bathtub

I'm off to another audition tonight and I'm hoping that the adrenaline from it will perk me up. If that doesn't work, then I've also planned a surprise visit to my roomie at the end of her class. And if that doesn't work then I'm going to come home, curl into bed with a book and go to sleep, looking very much forward to tomorrow.