Thursday, November 01, 2007
Favourite Costume Ever

Not surprisingly, I was dressed as Cho Chang yesterday. I unfortunately left my cape and tie at home in M-Town so my outfit wasn't as complete as it usually is, though I still had my chopstick wand in hand. I also made an 'I *heart* Cedric' pin that gave people another hint as to who I was. Still, out of the whole day and night, only two girls knew who I really was right off the bat and didn't guess Hermione first or "someone from Harry Potter".

Slutty costumes not included, I love Halloween mostly because it's an outlet for creativity that seems to be corked up by a life of academia and ...drinking. I saw some amazing costumes last night and my long list of personal favourites extends beyond my memory this afternoon. Notably, I loved the Japanese Tourist (complete with cameras, accent and bad dancing), and the two Grannies (complete with white hair, big boobs and bums, and hunched over walking and again, bad dancing) - I think next year I'm going to dress as something/body that gives me an excuse to dance with my butt sticking out all night. Of course, there were my fellow Hogwarts students. Harry was there, but he wasn't a good enough Harry for me to snog, and there was a Hermione, but she paled in comparison to the Ron-Hermione pair that came in matching jumpers and robes (made by Ron's mum no less!) and snogged (love that word) each other in the bar all night long. Just like in the books. Aw. I loved the fact that they were a real couple and actually looked like the characters too - Ron had bright red hair (though he looked more like Percy from the movies) and Hermione had big, bushy, wavy hair. I pestered them a handful of times (twice during a make-out session) just to tell them that I loved them.

My ultimate favourite costume was a tall-ish, thin-ish guy dressed in black with a giant cardboard plank-thing across the top of his head. Upon closer inspection, Niki and I noticed that it maybe resembled a bridge, but looked a lot like a capital 'T'. Nik called him T-Man and left it at that, and do you know what my guess was? In all my ultra-geekiness, I guessed that he was dressed as Times New Roman font. That moment officially marks the first time I've ever called anyone a font. Seriously though, that was my guess and I was determined to figure out what he really was. So we tracked him down inside the bar and I yelled over the music, "Hi! We're trying to figure out what you're dressed as, and I'm really excited to tell you what my guess is - my guess is that you're Times New Roman font!" I froze with gleeful anticipation, and braced for disappointment. His eyes widened and he paused, right before he looked me in the eyes and said, "YES!!! You're the first one to get it!!!" It was love at first sight.

No, it wasn't really, but I was completely delighted by his geeky cleverness. Now, I'm not sure what that says about me, or him for that matter. Sure, he dressed as the font, but I knew it. It's sort of like saying, "Yeah, that guy may be a jerk, but you're dating him," except in this case it's more like, "Yeah, that guy may be weird, but you're weirder." I can't tell you why I saw him as a capital T and immediately thought of Times New Roman font and not "Mr. T" or anything, but I'm pretty proud of it actually. Maybe next year I'll go as Helvetica.