Wednesday, November 07, 2007
No Time, There's Never Any Time

And all I want to do is make stuffed peppers.

My mother called me the other day while I wasn't home and when I managed to finally return the call at about ten p.m. that night, my brother answered the phone with, "A little late, don't you think?"

"Well, I'm sorry - I just got in. And ten isn't that late. Is mum still awake?"

"No. She went to bed like an hour ago."

"An hour?! Since when did she start going to bed so early?"

"Since she started getting up at five am to go to work."

"Oh, fine. I'll have to call back tomorrow then. Wait, I work...and then I have classes. Maybe I'll call at night- no, wait, that doesn't work either. Sigh, I don't think that day is any good... tell her I'll have to talk to her on Thursday."

I'm not sure if this is normal scheduling for most people, but I'm astounded at the fact that it actually takes me four days to find the time to call my mother back. It's not that I don't want to talk to her, but literally, I am too busy. The hours that I have free to call aren't ones that she's awake for. I just realized that I spend fifteen hours a week in classes, five or six hours at job #1, and nineteen hours at job #2 for a grand total of a forty hour work week. I'm up at eight a.m. and in bed at midnight almost every night. No wonder I live for the weekends now.

It's been one of those days... one of those no breakfast, no make-up, put a hat on to hide your hair and face days. I was out of the house at eight-thirty this morning for work and after classes I'm going kayaking tonight, which means I won't be back until almost midnight. Honestly, who is away from home for fifteen and a half hours a day (except maybe accountants)?