Sunday, November 18, 2007
The Thing With Birds

Sure, they're all beautiful and stuff and they can fly so high, but when they're so far above you up there they just shit on your head.

I am saddened to know that my weekend has resulted in my extreme need to visit a counsellor tomorrow (but preferably now) and unfortunately, probably for the rest of my life. I do not want to end up one of those crazy-lady writers who throw cats at passers-by and then bake their own heads in the oven. I just do not.

When I was a kid and was asked what superpower I would have if I could have any superpower in the world, I would tell people that I wanted to fly. I couldn't remember being on an airplane and I wanted the feeling of air rushing against my face and through my hair. More than anything, I wanted to feel what utter freedom felt like. Freedom from everything, good and bad. As I grew up, I changed and my response became "the power to heal" - I wanted to take peoples' pain away and if I wasn't going to be a doctor, then maybe I could just be magical instead. But for now, for all of yesterday, for all of forever until I get better, all I want to do is fly away. Then maybe I won't feel so shat on.