Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Road Triiip To Mont Royal

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I went through my what-could-have-been-excruciating three hour accounting exam last night fairly breezily. I only stumbled on a few of the multiple choice questions and only had trouble with one of the long answer questions. I'm hoping I can get out of the class with an A-. Recognizing completely that an A- is a fabulous grade, I know that I really could have achieved a solid A if only I had focussed a little more and studied harder. However, what gave me reason to slack off during my nine-hour study/cram session was that I found out I got an A+ in my marketing class, which pulls my GPA up and gave me more slacking room when it came to my grade for accounting. Plus, I was in a computer lab for nine hours straight without any social interaction at all, and having only gotten up three times to go pee (that's an average of once every three hours!) I felt a little justified in taking that four hour break to read through almost the entire GMail chat conversation history I have with my ex-boyfriend. I have to say, when we weren't arguing or in pissy moods, we were pretty darn cute.

Speaking of my ex-boyfriend, he was pretty much jammed in my head all weekend because Oh, that's the suburb where he lives, and Oh, we went to the Biodome together, and Oh, we went shopping there, and Oh, that's where he took me to have nice crepes, and Oh, the last two times I've been here I was with him. Explanation...: I'm back at work today after four days off - two of them spent in Montreal and two of them spent in libraries and labs on campus. Not surprisingly, I thoroughly enjoyed the former location far more, despite the nostalgic reminiscing. I took off on Friday night in the backseat of a two-door hatchback wrapped in a fleecey blanket, with a plethora of snackies at my feet and yelled "ROAAAD TRIIIIIP!!" much to the annoyance of my fellow car-mates about four times before we even got to the highway. It was a fun six hours (at least for me).

We didn't do much other than spend a lot of time in each other's company. When I think about it, we probably spent as much time in the car as we did in the hotel and outdoors in the actual city. The only typical touristy things we did were drive down to the Old Port and have a nice lunch in a cute little stone restaurant, and go to the Biodome where we saw the orange tamarinds, the colourful macaws, and the penguins (who put on quite the show, what with their super fast swimming and shooting penguin poop everywhere). We went shopping, had food, hung out at the hotel, watched French TV, and bounced around on the beds.

Our group was split perfectly into two mini-groups: girls and boys. So while the boys were outside having a smoke or going out to get more fast food, us girls had grand ol' quality girl time. For instance, we rolled up our shirts and compared our tummy flub (Clare can hide a pair of eyeglasses in hers!), checked out how stretchy our boobs were, and shared favourite positions (of the sexual kind). Yes, this is what girls talk about when boys aren't around. And then we flopped around on the bed. I am decidedly the least bouncy out of the three of us.

That night, we went to a club downtown called La Boom. Lemme tell you, it was a whole different kind of experience that I don't want again, ever. Truthfully, I haven't had my ass grabbed in a really long time, and while I liked it when it was done by someone I liked, I can't say that it's something that I miss, especially when done by a complete stranger in a setting like a crowded dance floor in a dimly lit club. So, I have to say that when it happened that night, I literally jumped and yelped and basically looked like an idiot because I was so frazzled at what actually just happened. The freaky thing was that it didn't just happen once, it happened about seventeen times that night. This is not to say that I have a nice ass - this is simply to say that the guys in that place were disgusting. It's not even like they made an effort to seek a nice ass out and chose me out of everyone there because they probably had been grabbing girls all night long and were going to continue to do so. In the most non-bragging way possible, I say honestly that we were swarmed by guys in there. At one point, when Tanya left to go to the washroom and Clare and I were left on the dance floor, a group of guys formed a circle around us and, well, ...I won't go into details, but let's just say that while neither her nor I were hurt, it was not a situation I'd ever want to be in again. I can't say the same for the other girls in there, but some of them definitely seemed to either like it, or expect it. I did neither.

My favourite part of our little jaunt out of province was this (and this probably says a lot more about me than I care to admit):
We were driving along the highway en route to home and Michael asked Tanya if she had ever done that thing where you yank your arm up and down at a truck driver to get them to honk their horn. She hadn't, not even as a child. Appalled, Michael noticed four big-rig trucks in the lane next to us and said that she had to try it, just once. With me for moral support in the backseat, we pulled up to the first truck and Tanya and I moved our arms up and down in the window, laughing, hoping that he'd honk. He took a look at us, and then continued looking straight ahead. Aww, boo, I thought. But then! He raised his hand, pushed a button twice and Honk Honked for us! We were elated and laughed and clapped with joy. Of course, there being four trucks in a row, I said that we had to see if we could get all four of them to honk for us. So we sped up, and up, and up, and caught every driver's eye with our enthusiasm and they all Honk Honked for us, all four in a row! Of course, by the time we got to the third one, he was probably expecting us, or else was wondering why the hell his fellow truck driving buddies were honking behind him. So that's that, my favourite part of the trip, giggling with utter girlish glee at the fact that we got four trucks on the highway to Honk Honk for us.

I left the trip with a thought from Tanya ringing pleasantly in my head: "If we were to all travel together, I (Tanya) would bring the candy, Clare would bring the granola, and you (Me) would bring the band-aids and the maps."