Sunday, January 20, 2008
Filler Up!

I have discovered that if I want to push these posts about Mr. David further and further down the page until they disappear, I am going to have to write more. So! Let's talk about something then, shall we?

I'm relaxing tonight after a nice weekend. The weekend was, in fact, so nice that I'm not looking forward to this week at all.
Nik and I went out for dessert and a free screening of Across The Universe (I can't believe I waited this long to see it! and OMG, it's AMAZING!) on Friday night after nixing a night out on the dance floor.
On Saturday, my mum worked around MY schedule in order to celebrate HER birthday (I'm a spoiled brat). My family comes up to see me in the Loo, bringing groceries and mail with them. Then we go shopping and I get a new jacket. We have a nice birthday dinner, during which I gave my mum her gift (a nice, fuzzily-soft purple sweater and three pairs of fun socks) and she gave us (me, brother, and his girlfriend) lucky red pockets (filled with money). SHE gave US money on HER birthday! Oh, mother.
Today was my first meeting with my new cast and first read through of our script! Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest (henceforth referred to as TIOBE) is fabulous. I can't wait to put this thing on stage! I did some shopping (foodies and a shirt) and came home to have a lovely dinner of lentil soup, roasted root vegetables, baked chicken, and organic quinoa. Dessert was homemade apple pie. Actually, everything was homemade. I swear, there's no other students who eat like Nik and I.

I'm auditing two courses this term. "World Water Environment and Development Issues" and "Tourists, Tourism, and the Globe". I like learning and staying intellectually stimulated without the pressures of assignments and grades. The only class I'm registered in is a Distance Education course (taught online) about Asian Spiritual Disciplines. I get to read about secret Mongolia, figure out the most confusing 'religion' I've ever come across (Taoism/Daoism), and formally learn about things that I've been observing for years. It feels nice to like school.

I'm currently sitting with my laptop keeping my thighs and hands warm while my feet are resting right in front of a space heater. The weather has been freeeeezing over here this past week and my little apartment is in a very old house with very beautiful, but very old, heating vents (I share a vent with the bathroom, if you can imagine it). I dared to go without my gloves (see: I forgot them when I was rushing out of the house) during a campus tour I was giving Saturday morning and when I got home, the skin on my knuckles was dry, cracked and blistery-red. Despite the fact that I slather my entire body in baby oil after I shower, and keep my hands and lips continuously coated in a layer of moisturizing goo, winter makes my skin look like a bleeding Sahara.

Rehearsals are keeping me super busy through the month of January. For the next two weeks, I'm in rehearsals four times a week (it's supposed to be five, but I can't be in two places at the same time on Thursday nights). I'm on stage in a week and a half!

I've had bronchitis for three weeks now. It all started with a scratchy throat at the end of December and by the first week of January I was seemingly coughing up a lung in the mornings. But I tend to be like my father sometimes and don't like to admit when I'm sick. So I leave it and try to take care of it myself and wait for it to go away. Except, this is bronchitis we're talking about here, and when I left it to go away on its own, IT DIDN'T. It festered and turned nastier by the day until I was coughing out my innards (I never knew they were bright green!) and the girls at work were so sick of listening to me that they took me to the doctor in the middle of a shift. Apparently, I was quite, quite ill. He put me on 1000 mgs of drugs per day for a week and a half. Those ten days of being heavily medicated are over, but I'm still coughing in the mornings. My poor, poor bronchial tubes. I can't bear to think that they're still infected - I need those to live!

You know what I like? When people say "Ciao, bella" to me. It makes my knees all melty.