Thursday, February 14, 2008
Happy ...Day.

My favourite times of day are when the sun isn't quite all the way up yet, or not quite all the way down. Somewhere between sunrise and dawn; right in between dusk and sunset. The light is the perfect ...lightness, shadows are slanted just-so and the air smells that much nicer. This morning was one of those mornings and I left my front porch feeling genuinely in love with the world.

"Hey, you know what tomorrow is? Nirvana Day."
"As in the band, or the state of bliss?"

Conversations like this are what keep work interesting. My workmate and I are getting along fabulously today - not that it's a rare occurance. I'm feeling particularly chatty today and we've had a lot of laughs, mainly because we spent a hunk of time watching funny e-cards from Hallmark, inlcuding, but not limited to: The Anti-Valentine Teddy (he says: "It's not like love lasts, or anything.") and the Screaming Banshee Goes on a Date! She pretty much screams the entire time and I nearly peed myself.

Here's a list of other "Holidays" I'm convinced were invented by the greeting card industry:
Tax Day
Administrative Professionals Day
Friendship Day
Sisters Day
Grandparents Day
National Boss Day
...and my favourite: Sweetest Day. It's October 18th, I kid you not.

I know I'm growing up when I've paid off my student loans and have officially removed them from my list of online bill payments - w00t! Growing up also means getting old(er) and my university, for some reason, feels the need to remind me of this fact by cancelling my email server because no other students (except the oldies who STILL HAVEN'T GRADUATED) are using it anymore. They're all on some fancy new server that I had to get moved to because the school outgrew the one I used. Bah.

A few weeks ago, I realized that I was really cutting it close to not graduating on time, again. An accounting course I took last term ended up replacing an old accounting course I took during my second year, completely unbeknownst to me. This little detail, that no one bothered to inform me of, actually rendered me a half-credit short of being eligible to graduate. Thank goodness I decided to register in an extra class this term and finish my minor, otherwise, I'd be stuck here for another term and that thought to me is a complete nightmare right now because I'm SO OVER being at this school.

Last night, I lost my student ID card for the first time. I've had that card since July of 2003, two months before I even started classes at uni. To think, I lose it now, six weeks before I'm done school forever! Argh, and now I have to pay $20 to get a new one and just for six weeks. Humbug.

Speaking of school, here is a list of Words My Education Taught Me To Love:
- context
- relevance
- reconciliation
- interconnectedness
- engage
- (dis)associate
- correlation

And still speaking of school, I have noticed with great consistency that boys in Environmental Studies and Geography are very good looking! Why the hell didn't I major in these departments instead? There's never any boys in my Soc classes. Wah.

To finish off my random thoughts for today, here is a list of things I Am Not Above:
- taking the bus
- waitressing
- using the men's bathroom when the women's is occupied
- being a cheap drunk
- make up
- admitting that I like learning
- admitting that I like my Water class that much more because there's lots of cute boys