Wednesday, March 26, 2008
It's A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood

Yesterday at this time it was a downright blizzard outdoors and today the sun is out, the birds are chirping and it's plus three degrees. It's a wonder that anybody doesn't catch a cold from all these bipolar weather conditions.

I returned from my week away sick as a dog and covered in cat hair. I can't tell if I'm getting any better, but I don't think I'm getting worse. And that's comforting in some sense. The cat hair has since been washed out of my clothes.

It's pretty cool that I'm now qualified to lead tours in New York City. The Big Apple was pretty snazzy, but it was more work than fun. I walked the crap out of my feet, wore down the heels of a new pair of shoes, and had trouble standing up in the mornings. New York is like every other big city I've seen, but on crack. London was busy, but it bustled with a really nice vibe, a good energy. Beijing was busy, but that's because China has a sixth of the world's population. Manhattan was just... busy. Overwhlemingly so. But I did really enjoy the fact that there's cool food EVERYWHERE. I was also waiting for my time there to start feeling like an episode of Sex and the City. It never did.

I jumped right into my third last day at work yesterday, and by "jumped right into" I mean "slowly oozed out of bed at nine am (when I'm supposed to BE at work) and strolled in an hour late (as usual)". My contract officially ends tomorrow; I will be unemployed for the next few weeks and I will like it.

I also had an interview for a job I don't necessarily want, but will accept out of sheer desperation for employment and income because it happens to fall during a time in my life when all my plans have run out. I am looking forward to the tour season though. There's nothing like being paid to travel and living out of a suitcase again.

The paper from last week? Still not done. I don't know why I can't write it. It just won't DIE. The contract academic staff on campus have gone on strike, so it's giving me the semblance of extra time, even though I know it's still technically two weeks late.

I had a gruelling rehearsal for my play last night. I left with a wicked headache that was later cured by fresh air and organic nuts.

Today, I woke up decidedly feeling like a morning person and promised myself to try as hard as possible to live walking distance from my future job. I can still taste the goodness that was my BLT breakfast sandwich, the warmth and sweetness of my tea, and feel the sunshine on my face as I walked into work, mostly on time.