Monday, April 28, 2008
Bad Luck In Boston

I don't want to whine about work. I won't whine about work.

I will, however, say that I really, REALLY miss my very first tour of the season, the NYC tour from last week. It's not just the cute underage boys either, nor the boy who snuck his email address into my roll of cash tip, it's ...everything. The wacky road-rage driver who knew NYC like he had lived there all his life. The ultra-cool, laid back, funny teachers. The KIDS. My god, the kids. They loved me and I loved them back. They wanted to hang out with me, to talk to me, to tell me stories of what they did during free time.

This week? Let's just say it's been ...different. The group was pre-determined to not get very close to me, and love the driver more than me, despite the fact that he didn't do his job - honestly, who shows up having not read the itinerary, without any maps or prep work at all? He does, apparently. Then I have to spend my nights looking up directions to and from every destination and write them down on sticky notes for him because he never bothered to do it for himself. JAY-SUS. No, they didn't know all that because I faithfully handed him directions every morning and led him through Boston and Salem without saying a peep about my building resentment. I've learned that I can keep my smiley face on more than I thought. Because, on top of that, we ran into bus troubles. I'll keep the whinage to a minimum and will say that it wasn't like the last time I was in Boston and got stuck under a bridge (BEWARE JAMES STORROW DRIVE), but this time, the teachers lost their ever loving minds on me. And my company. And the bus company. Clearly, all anger should be taken out on me (and not the driver) because I was totally present for all the decision making that made them angry in the first place. NOT. Where was I when all those anger-inducing decisions were made? I was doing my job as a tour leader AND getting you a surprise tour of the New England Conservatory of Music even though it wasn't on the itin. THAT'S what I was doing.

*grabs a paper bag*

So! I'm back to Boston on Wednesday morning and I hope to dear goodness that I don't have bad luck like I've been having the last two times I went there.

I'll also be spending my birthday there (again) so keep your fingers crossed for me, will ya?