Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Not A Heart, Not Even A Clock, But A Testimonial

"How about my heart?" asked the Tin Woodsman.

The Wizard first explains to the Tin Woodsman the advantages of being heartless.

Answered Oz, "As for you, my galvanized friend, you want a heart. Why, as for that, I think you are wrong to want a heart. You don't know how lucky you are not to have one. It makes most people unhappy. Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable. If you only knew it, you are in luck not to have a heart."

"But I still want one," said the Tin Woodsman. "That must be a matter of opinion. For my part, I will bear all the unhappiness without a murmur, if you will give me the heart."

Said Oz: "Back where I come from, there are men who do nothing all day but good deeds. They are called phila-, er, er, philanth-er, yes, er, good-deed doers, and their hearts are no bigger than yours. But they have one thing you haven't got - a testimonial."

But since the Tin Woodsman still desires a heart, he is given some additional therapeutic, home-spun wisdom from the Wizard and then presented with a testimonial: a clock award - a large red, heart-shaped watch made of metal that hangs from the end of a golden chain. A loudly-ticking clock is in the center of the heart.

"Therefore, in consideration of your kindness, I take pleasure at this time in presenting you with a small token of our esteem and affection. And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others."