Tuesday, June 03, 2008
Ugh, That Is Like, So Romantic

It's like that time I met my ex-boyfriend: he walked me home only to sit in my room talking for hours on end and then we went to the grocery store at four in the morning to play with shopping carts in the parking lot and dance in the cheese aisle. He cooked me breakfast while I napped before work and then we ate while sitting in the sun on my front steps.

That was cute and sweet.

It's like that time a couple of months ago (not with the ex-bf): he came over to candles, wine, and ambient music in my kitchen. We rode our bikes to the bar, then to the park in the dark, climbed a tree and hung out while dangling over a brook. We traipsed through the woods with me on his back because my shoes were too dainty and Tunisian for the mud. We actually laid down in the middle of a baseball diamond and watched the clouds.

"Gawd, it's like you're dating."
"Ugh, I know."
"He's like your boyfriend."
"Ugh, I KNOW."
(But we weren't and he wasn't.)

It's like last night: we had Jamaican food in Chinatown, had a total party at the concert and then sat on the boardwalk with the most perfect view of the Toronto skyline across the lake. Then we went to the beach with blankets and wine and hormones and kept each other warm and slept maybe an hour the entire night.

"Aw, that's such a nice night!"
"It was way too romantic."
"Oh, totally."
"Yeah, it's actually grossly romantic."
"Totally gross. Ew."

Normally, I'm all for romance and I never thought the day would come when I'd actually be exasperated and say, "Ugh, I can't believe how romantic that was. Yuck." I guess that's what happens when you're not actually dating the person, eh?