Sunday, July 13, 2008
Longtemps

I suffered a bout of extreme nervousness the other day in class when I realized something: I haven't studied French since I was 16 years old. It's been EIGHT years since I've done anything with this language and somehow I get placed into the advanced class of the second highest group here?! There's definitely something wrong with the placement system. Though, this isn't totally unlike the time I taught myself Spanish during my flight overseas and ended up in the intermediate language class after just a week in the country... (Also: here's to my third eye or my fourth? Cantonese, English, French, ...Spanish?) Anyway, admittedly, I'm ...not exactly struggling, but not exactly breezing through my class either, which is filled with people who study French as a minor in university. I have yet to completely figure out imparfait vs. passé composé and catch up on my subjonctif. Le sigh - I await the day when French permeates my life so that I dream en français.

It's been exactly one week since I arrived here. I feel like I've been here a lot longer than just seven days. There's a million and one things to tell about, but for now: I live in a house out of a decorating magazine with a bonafide Super Mom and a hot tub. There's two rivers here, gorgeous hills, and I can't wait to bike along the paths in the woods. Downtown is quaint; went to the public library yesterday to read children's books and take naps. Danced my face off two nights in a row; first at the welcome soirée, then at a reggae and ska show. Went on a little excurion today to Lac St. Jean; saw myself some wild animals, a ghost town, and Quebecoise countryside. The other two students who live at the house have become my sisters; we were all born in May of `84 (all within eleven days of each other!) and as Tauri, we get along fabulously. We are the Chicouti-soeurs, the couple de 3, and other dorky things like that... Tomorrow: Class, lunch, canoeing, aerobics, supper, film.

Et maintenant: les devoirs! (For the Anglophones... And now: homework!)

Crème molle count: 3.