Sunday, August 03, 2008
Five Days Notice

A fun story which neatly entwines with the Funny Anglo Moment as of late:

During my canoe class last week (YES, you read me, I have a canoe class - this is totally like camp) we were taught how to help out fellow canoers if they ever fell out of their vessel. The best way to learn, of course, is to demonstrate, so in the water me and my partner go, tipping the canoe over while we're at it and ta-da, we're saved... after a few minutes of fumbling around with the instructions, of course, which are always given to us very quickly which makes comprehension that much more difficult because, hello - we're working in a different language here.

The demonstration was fun, but upon attempting to dry off later I realized that though I had packed a change of clothes for the afternoon, I didn't pack an extra pair of underwear because I had never gotten THAT wet during a canoe class before. My solution was not to just suck it up and wear them around all day, nor was it to dry them under the hand-dryer in the bathroom. I just went sans-underpants all day (and night) - with a skirt. I admit that I was pretty proud of it because, in retrospect, I must have told at least seven people that I wasn't wearing underpants with a giant goofy grin on my face.

In telling friends the story of how I became underpants-less, I should have said that I had participated in «un demonstration de sauvetage» as opposed to saying «un demonstration de sauvage» because I basically said that I demonstrated "savageness" as opposed to a "rescue". Le sigh.

Spent my last weekend doing cool stuff like this:
- danced in the streets to the tunes of music from around the world (who knew Chicoutimi would have a massively huge international music festival FOR FREE?!)
- dressed up in the ghetto-ist 80s outfit ever, complete with clashing pink items, big jewellery, a headband, and a mole
- picked wild blueberries by a little lake up north (and I only got three mosquito bites! whoppee!)
- made dinner with my roommates à la Mexique for my family (they didn't like it :o()
- spent last night after dinner in the hot tub
- braved the winds and rain of Tadoussac today to go whale-watching

Hard to believe that I've only got five days left here... Here's to finally trying the blueberry beer (hope it's as good as the blueberry cider), performing with my danse expression class, rocking out at the bar and in general, and savouring one last crème molle.

Crème molle count: 6.