Saturday, August 23, 2008
Plugged In

Had a nice morning (note to future self: running after 10am during the summer is so not a good idea), but wish I could have spent today outdoors because it's just so pretty out. Plus, I'm missing the street-fest. Instead, I've been trapped in this library all day attempting to study, but surfed the net to satisfy my e-cravings because living without the internet is both a blessing and an annoyance.

Work is harder than school. I spend all my evenings studying because we get quizzed every morning. There's a lot to know about a university before you can hit the road and recruit for it. I've been slacking, but one can only look like an idiot in front of their superiors for so long. The time has come to crack down. But, given my complete lack of work ethic, I've been catching up with my peeps and browsing music all afternoon.

Needing a break from all things university-related, and desperately wanting some social interaction, I hung out at the local Buskerfest last night with some new friends. Enjoyed myself some street performers, fancy acrobatics, live music, and fireworks. There is nothing like the sound of cheers and laughter with the accompanying smell of deep-fry on a cool summer's evening. Two pints of beer later and I was SO ready for bed. Being used to rising at 7:15am every morning really doesn't allow for bed times of 2am.

In musical news, I realized that I know the brother of the drummer for Caribou (when they were on tour, at least) - more music of the indie-electronica variety. We re-met last night at the bar and we must have looked at each other for a few solid minutes before we realized that we had hung out a number of times a couple of years ago (via the ex-boyfriend). He's still awesome and I'm still awesome, so I'm hoping for VIP backstage pass privileges one day...? In addition to aforementioned indie-electronica, and a good bagpipe tune, I am a giant sucker for:

- hypnotic percussive chillout dancegrooves (see: Apadurai, Oka)
- didgeridoos in general (seen two didj concerts in the last month and OMG *MELT*. Going to another one tomorrow night!)

Heard and met Oka just last night and I dropped $50 on CDs without thinking twice just because I HAD TO OWN THEM. Kind of like the time I heard Autorickshaw or Apadurai. I got autographs! It's the roadie wannabe in me coming out.

Time to peel myself off this chair, unplug the lappy, and go do something slightly more productive than ...this.