Saturday, August 16, 2008
Sigh Of Contentment

So, after whining that I was lonely last night, I went out to meet a few friends at the local Irish pub and after twenty minutes, I couldn't take it anymore and went home. I couldn't believe that I was *that* tired. It was all for the better in the end because I slept like a log and after a 10:30am sleep in/wake up, I was fresh as a spring chicken and ready to take on my new-old life.

Moving back into an apartment that you've lived in before, but with new people, is an interesting situation. I'm living (for the next month) at the place I did the last two school terms, since September. But, after having moved out in April, my landlord got new tenants and now I'm back in my old room, with a different girl in the other one down the hall. Things are mostly the same (the smell, the dust, the crappy showerhead, the layout of my room, my furniture - except for the desk), but it's a different feeling. Also, being the creature of habit that I am, I took a breath when I realized that I had to use a different shelf in the bathroom and in the kitchen pantry, and especially when I saw that she had put the toaster behind the dish rack over there when it would work so much better where we used to have it, over here. I'm also putting my toothbrush in the cabinet behind the mirror when I always used to keep it in a cup by the tap, but I didn't want to disturb the peace that she had already created. I enjoyed some bits of nostalgia when I saw some random things we left behind, like dishes or the blue ornament that we hung from the closet doorknob. But it made me sad when I saw that she's now using our old pen jar as an ashtray. Also: no phone + no internet + no room in the fridge = much sadness. I also forgot to pack nail-clippers. Wah.

I experienced my first bout of Chicouti-sickness the other day. All of the sudden I was missing the familiar faces that I saw and the voices that I heard everyday for five weeks. I missed French! But. One reason that I'm glad to be back in town is that I no longer have to deal with the rains of Chicoutimi - finally, summer weather! I had forgotten how nice it was to have sunshine for more than a few hours at a time and not carry my umbrella with me everywhere I go. I'm enjoying life here again - it's nice to do my own laundry, to go grocery shopping for myself (but not so enjoyable when I have to lug everything back on my own), and hang out whenever without having to worry about having dinner with a host-family. All I need now is a bathtub with which to use my peppermint bath salts.

I'm currently sitting outside a cafe thiefing their wireless internet, having just ate a sandwich I made with the potato-onion and olive bread I bought this afternoon. I'll be going out for some beers tonight, possibly after I drink my new Riesling out of the martini glasses I bought for 10 cents each at a garage sale this morning. I can't stay out too late because I've got to be up for an audition at 10am tomorrow! Ahhh.*


* How do I make this sound like a relaxing sigh and not like a scream of fear?