Sunday, September 14, 2008
A King Sized Bed, Five Pillows, And No Stuffed Penguin To Sleep With

Lately, one of my favourite people in the world has been calling me regularly despite our distance across the ocean. The first couple times from Egypt and the last two nights she's called me from North Ronaldsay, Scotland, an island populated with just about fifty people way up in the north. Though her travels have been good to her, she had had a particularly bad day and in order to get out of the funk, told herself to do what I would in that situation: sit down and make a list of things that I'm grateful for.

Admittedly, I've been in a bit of a funk myself these past few weeks and I think it's about time that I take my own advice. My friend Bre's mum has always said that for every negative thing you say about yourself you should say three positive things. I'm going to try to combine our advice and see what I come up with.

- I like my friends.
- It's neat that I can sort of speak French fluently.
- Over the next two months I'm being paid to live (accommodation, car, gas, food, etc. all covered).
- I've had (and will continue to have) lots of opportunities to travel.
- I have my health (mostly).
- I'm ...great.

That didn't really help at all. Must work on being positive and grateful.

I am generally just thankful for my position in life. I'm out by the Ontario-Quebec border for the next handful of days for work and I'm glad that I've, so far, survived the large amounts of driving solo. Now, I just have to survive the large amounts of time solo. I've only been alone in this hotel room for a few hours and already I wish I had a roomie.