Tuesday, October 07, 2008
You Can Always Be More Ninja

Just got home from hanging out with one of my favourite people, ever. Greg and I go back about seven years to when we met as adolescents in high school, and since then we've run the gamut of possible relationships that one can have with another person. From dating and being in love to not speaking to each other for years to now being wonderful life companions. When he told me that I was one of his "lifelong companions" I told him it made me sound like his dog. It was funny, and we laughed.

Every time I'm with him a few things invariably happen: I always manage to reminisce about the time we spent together as a couple (because it was awesome); I learn something about Islam; I remind him of how he's influenced my life, even down to little details like how I obsessively dry in-between my fingers after I wash my hands like he does; we tell each other how awesome we think the other person is; he always teaches me something new and reminds me of important things that aren't so new; I eat weird hippie food and hear about his crazy hippie friends; I always leave feeling uber grateful to have him in my life. Oh yeah, and we have fun.

Tonight I tried amaranth in grain form for the first time (prior to tonight I had had it in a raw cacao drink). I learned about apple cider vinegar and cod liver oil and omega-3 fatty acids (and omega-6s and 9s). I heard about a girl named Radish, who is now the second person I've 'known' to be named like an actual fruit/vegetable (the first person being a girl in high school named Apple). He showed me a live demonstration of how to kill someone in slow-mo with a wooden T'ai Chi sword. I've been wanting to go to a drum circle dance with him for months now (we almost did tonight) and I might be able to join him for Hip Hop Karaoke on Friday. That's right, Hip Hop Karaoke - how awesome is that going to be?

He's one of the people who's fought to keep me in his life, and I'd do close to anything (just to keep this realistic) to keep him in mine. There's a lot to be said for those people, both the kind you want to keep around and those who want to keep you around in return. They're far and in between, like really good movies.

Every time I ask him how he is, he - without fail - replies with, "I'm fuckin' awesome!" because he is. He's one of those people who I've shared so many wonderful moments with that we can't remember them all (it's a nice surprise when one of us brings one up that we haven't thought of in a while). I want to introduce him to everyone I know because he is that awesome and associating with him makes me feel that much cooler. I feel refreshed when we part; like I can't wait to start the rest of my life being awesome like him. He said to me tonight, "Most people operate below the Ultimate Level of Awesomeness and I don't know why. It's my job, my duty, to bring people up to that higher level of awesomeness because that's where I live. And rule." I also remember: "You can always be more ninja." He's right, I can.

I'm a big fan of all things Greg. Even if it means listening to some crazy every now and then (he once had a two-hour conversation about flying pirate ships (...I don't know how either)). I've got enough of my kind of crazy and I like his brand of the stuff. It sounds fuckin' awesome.