Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Girl Talk

Yesternight, for the first time since I started my new job two weeks ago, I was happy as I commuted home. It was due in part to the fact that I had just finished the bulk of my Christmas shopping, and that I had Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas blasting on the radio. (I sang along very loudly.) Tonight, on the TWO AND A HALF hour drive home, I felt far less than festive. Homo-sui-cidal was more like it. Seriously, people. I have a two hour commute home after work (mornings are usually about an hour, but STILL). Rush hour sucks. I want my life back.

Wasting three to four hours on the road driving to and from work every day does mean, however, that I have strong reasons for wanting to move out (public transit takes two hours too, blech). Truthfully, I was looking at listings in the city on the Sunday night before my first day. Surprisingly though, I have not felt extremely uncomfortable since I've moved back in full-time with my family. My stuff has all been here since April, but I've been on the move so that I've spent at most three or four consecutive days here since the spring. I think my mentality is that I've been away for so long that being here again is almost sort of novel. I've enjoyed spending weekends with my family, I want to have dinner with my parents, and I sit to watch the news with them if I'm not too crabby after work. I'm hoping these feelings last because I know they will so not take the news well when I express that I want to move out. I give it six months to a year.

The warm, fuzzy feelings may also be due to the fact that it is the holidays and, unlike last year (and the several years before that), I'm hoping not to feel too cold and prickly. Hrm, I may need more wine... I am excited for this weekend though - it's Nutcracker time! I'm glad that this is one tradition I've managed to keep despite the fact that it was started with an ex-boyfriend five years ago. Dinner, ballet, dancing... Tanya and are going to glam up and hit the town with fanciness all around.

For the first time in a really, really long time, I'm not waiting for school or exams to finish before I'm officially on holidays. I'm just waiting for the office to close. My last day is going to involve a gift exchange and a potluck lunch, so that's exciting. I'm bringing my guacamole to the little par-tay and hopefully it'll be a hit. I actually made guacamole the other night and I minced so many cloves of garlic that the fingers on my left hand still smell like garlic. I've showered, washed my hands countless times, have applied perfume and lotions and still: GARLIC. Gross. I probably should have volunteered to bring something else.

I've taken a couple glimpses into the crystal ball that is my life lately and I'm not loving what I see (commute, work, eat, work, commute, eat, sleep, repeat). The thing I'm most looking forward to in 2009 is yoga.