Sunday, December 07, 2008
Hello Almost Adulthood

I am an odd combination of needfully attached and terribly neglectful. I have posts from all the different places I've been the last few weeks because everywhere I go I want to stop and say Hello! to everyone, but they all sit in Draft form because I haven't actually sat myself down to write anything out in full. In short, I think of things often and rarely do anything about them. Fabulous.

My tour to Philly and DC was unfortunately the most stressful four days I've had in a while. It's too bad that it was my last one in a while and was just about the second worst tour I've ever had - through no fault of my own, just circumstances out of my control (see: myself and the driver being not entirely familiar with the area, a broken bus, terrible timing, etc). Now to think of it, this tour was not unlike most tours that I lead. I have no idea how I won the Tour Leader of the Year award last season, no idea at all.

Suffice to say, by the time I went to Cancun, I was SO READY. I could not have looked forward to a week of beach and booze more. We lazed around a lot, had beers and pina coladas at 10am, lay on the beach, ate at buffets all week, took the bus down the road and went to another beach, had booze on the bus, booze on the beach, booze on the boat... booze wherever you wanted it! Even at the eco-zoo-park where we wandered around lizards, noisy-ass macaws, orchids and edible mushrooms that grew out of plastic bags with a can in our hand. Got to go snorkeling and see Chichen Itza too, something I've been wondering about since I was 16 years old. Ate lots of Mexican food. Got lots of sun (my back is peeling nicely). Spoke Spanish again. I loved Mexico. It suited me. Also, I was sick immediately before and after Cancun, so it's obvious what my body is trying to tell me. I just wish I could make it better without purchasing a plane ticket.

Also, so much for the job-less non-student lifestyle. While I was finishing up with Philly/DC, I got a job offer (with my tour company). And I took it. So, upon landing in T.O. on Sunday aft, I went home and immediately started prepping for my life as a working stiff for I was to start work on Monday morning. My tour to NYC got given to someone else - don't even get me started because I found out afterwards that the NYC tour had WICKED and a BROADWAY WORKSHOP in the itinerary - I KNOW. Plus, it's also New York. I was so sad. Dang, a lot can change in a week, huh? I went from taking random tours that got handed to me to working full-time in a high-rise office building. I have a desk, phone extension, work email and security pass card all on the 18th floor and everything.

And now, after my first week of work, I can say that I am indeed working, stiffly. My commute is two hours one-way and I have bid adieu to the sun because I get on the transit system (underground) before it rises and I emerge from it after work after it sets. I suspect I'll see the sun again around... May. My first week really wore me out and I am still getting used to the idea that I have about three hours of free time after work (I get in at about 7pm and am in bed around 10pm because I'm up at 5:45am!). Throw in dinner, a shower and packing lunch for the next day and I've got about an hour and a half left. With regards to the job itself, I'm lucky to be working in a fairly laid back and fun environment (we are in the tourism industry), but I have yet to find real direction and figure out exactly what it is that I'm (supposed to be) doing... it'll take some time before I fully warm up to everything I think. It's not my dream job (yet?), and I'm not saving the planet or curing cancer, but I'm hoping that one day this'll become something that I love. Well, in the spirit of positive thinking, here's to a good indefinite amount of time in the office. Cheers!

In other news, I'm an adult now. This past week I signed a contract for a full-time, permanent position and then I filled out benefits forms that included life insurance. Before this month, I have never had to use the words "salary" and "benefits" in relation to myself (also: negotiating is not fun). I had my first company Christmas party on Friday night (thank you alcohol for socially lubricating me). Oh, and I also have a cell phone. Like, legitimately. I went and read up on plans and then purchased one. First cell phone at 24. Not bad.

Sigh. I really miss Mexico. Well, here's to another week....