Saturday, January 10, 2009
Fam Jam

I spent the last two evenings of my holiday time off work watching home videos with my family. I remember sleeping in very late that Saturday and when I finally made it downstairs to get food, I settled at the kitchen table for hours, just munching away, going through weekend flyers and chatting with my family about our big trip this summer. We all went our own ways for the afternoon and come dinner time, we were all around the table again and before we knew it we had agreed to watch the video from our road trip out to the east coast last summer.

I never imagined that I'd spend Saturday nights in my mid-twenties like this: sitting in my parents' bedroom in my jammies, watching vacation videos and reminiscing about how it was at the same time a great and horrifying a trip for FIVE AND A HALF HOURS. Yep - we were up until just about 2am enjoying each others' company, only to return to it the next night. Sunday was spent watching videos from our trips to Chicago and Spain. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was and it's times like these that let me think that I can happily live here for longer than I think.

Come this Saturday, I arrived home after 36 hours away and all I wanted was to get away from everyone and do my own thing in my own space. As much as I had just come "home", I really didn't feel like I was at home. I felt restless and unsettled in every room. Though I was vaguely surprised, unlike last weekend, I did not enjoy these feelings nearly as much and they did not give the impression that I would be happy living here for much longer, which is unfortunate.

I started off my weekend by viewing my first apartment in the city Friday evening with the thought that this potentially might/will happen (me semi-permanently moving out of my family's place and in with Tanya somewhere in Toronto). My hopes for a nice place to live are high, and consequently, the probability of finding a place to suit my tastes are quite low. I'm willing to be patient though, as long as the itch to be anywhere but here doesn't keep up.

Until then, I have my fingers crossed that I continue to enjoy my family as much as they enjoy having me back here.