Thursday, April 16, 2009
Foreshadowing

Warm, comfy and fast asleep in my cushy Quebecois hotel bed, I'm vaguely aware of the phone ringing. By the time my body managed to pick it up, the person on the other line has hung up. I'm annoyed because now I'm awake and I realized that it's just past 5:30am. Five minutes later the phone rings again, and when I get it, I hear the cheery voice of my boss on the other end. In the hour that follows, I get a glimpse of my life that is to be over the next two and a half months.

...a last minute deadhead to Hamilton we forgot about. A bus breakdown in the middle of the night for a first-year. A sick tour leader who called a half hour before she had to meet her group for departure. A flurry of phone calls for way-too-early in the morning. And now my partner is on a last minute trip to NYC which leaves our counterpart from Montreal with no dinner-mate upon her arrival and me to handle our last training session this Saturday - in front of my director.

With my training trips keeping me out of the office the last two weeks, I haven't been able to get a lot done and it doesn't look like that scenario is going to get a lot better any time soon. First Ottawa training, now Quebec training, and in a week and a half I'm back to Ottawa to do a job for someone else who isn't available to do it herself, then I'm back to Quebec to train people who couldn't make it to the first training trip... I think I'll have been in the office a total of eleven days over the course of a month.

[In writing this, I've been interrupted twice by more phone calls from my boss, to my partner, to my boss...]

I'm not sure if I realized what I was signing off to do when I took this job, but I guarantee that it's going to be some kind of adventure until the end of June...