Sunday, April 05, 2009
Sunday Morning, Without a Warning

It's Sunday morning, just before 10am, and I'm supposed to be wearing very little clothing, lying on my back with my eyes closed, breathing deeply and relaxing all the muscles in my body in a really hot room with twenty-some other people waiting for yoga class to start.

But instead, I'm dressed, (almost) packed and getting ready to go to the office. Because I need to work today - on a SUNDAY. I leave for my Ottawa training trip tomorrow morning (I have to be at the office at the unholy hour of 6:30am (at the latest!)) and since I'm a giant slackosaurus I'm trying to plan my trip at the last minute. I can't believe I'm here: planning the training trips, whereas a few years ago I was simply just going on them. Life moves quickly, doesn't it?

Like every other time I leave my house with a suitcase, I'm stressed. Stressed because once again, the days have proven that they just don't have enough hours in them to allow me to do everything I need to do. I had to cancel last minute on a friend today too, so instead of hanging out in one of the hippiest neighbourhoods in the city, I'm going to be at my desk on the 18th floor of an office building with no windows that open and a view of residential suburbia. Life, it's good to me.

This is all after yesterday, a SATURDAY, when I was at the office until 8pm. It didn't phase me when the lights in the building shut off because there was enough sunlight. When the sun was setting and everything was bathed in either shadow or an eerie golden orange, that's when I realized I had probably crossed the line between that work-life balance. I probably would have stayed longer had my partner not been wearing her coat at the desk beside me, waiting for me because she was being nice.

So now, Sunday morning, I'm going to take my bag and my binder and go ...to not do yoga.