Thursday, September 24, 2009
Dressing For A Date

Finally, after a half hour I have just finished fretting over what to wear tomorrow. Sometimes I wish we had uniforms at work just so I wouldn't have to worry about this kind of thing. Normally, it wouldn't be a big deal, but choosing an outfit particularly stresses me out when it has to be multi-functional, like my outfit for tomorrow has to be.

1. It has to involve a pair of jeans.
It's casual Friday at work and I'll be DAMNED if I don't take advantage of the one day a week we're allowed to wear denim.

2. It has to be work appropriate.
Just because it's casual Friday doesn't mean I can stroll in with jeans, a funky t-shirt, and a pair of Birkenstocks (though, that is the ultimate comfy outfit that popped into my head when I thought, "TGIF fackers!"). I'm also doing some presenting at a big meeting tomorrow in front of a very intimidating manager so... Alas, I have to wear a nice shirt and somewhat respectable shoes.

3. It has to be First Date Appropriate.
Yes, you heard/read me correctly. First Date. I have one of those tomorrow night. Don't ask - I'm not quite sure how it happened either, but the short version is this: I met a boy on the subway.

Now, this is significant for a few reasons:

1. I love meeting people whilst in transit.
Of course we all remember how I met J - on a public transit bus! - and how it remains one of my favourite, and now one of my most difficult, stories to tell. I've met a few good friends thanks to public transportation as well and they're all wonderful tales to relate. Secretly (or not-so-secretly, thanks to the wonders that are this blog), I've always wanted to meet my future hubby-to-be that way too. Come to think of it, that's how boy-wonder in Paris and I actually met last summer - while on the bus up to french camp in small-town Chicoutimi, Quebec. And speaking of boy-wonder...

2. I have a First Date while I've got ten days worth of dates waiting for me upon arrival in Paris in a week's time...?
Yes. Yes, I do. Again, I'm not sure how it all happened, but it was harmless enough and I've been honest with boy-wonder in letting him know that I did indeed give my number to a random dude I met on the subway home from work one day (our conversation started when he asked me what I thought of his hat - it was ridiculous). He knows, and he's only kind of cool with another guy calling me up to go out, but let's be honest - as crazy as I am to fall head-over-heels for someone who lives an ocean apart from me, I'm not going to be so crazy that I close all the doors that even creak open before me.

3. I can't remember the last time I went on a real date.
A "real date" being one that happens with me and someone else I've only briefly met (and he initiates by calling me). A "real date" is not hanging out with a friend and then drunkenly making out at the end of the night. So, by these standards, the last time I had a date was *thinking* ...with Mr. GQ/Asshole from *thinking* ...DECEMBER OF 2007. *calculating* Oh. My. Go-

4. I had a conversation about dates this morning.
While making breakfast in the office kitchen, Finance Director walks in, looks at what I'm stirring and says, "Ooh, oatmeal."

"With dates!" I replied. "Nature's candy!" (Breakfast makes me happy, apparently.)

"You like dates?" He asked.

"Of course. Both of the fruit and male variety."