Tuesday, January 04, 2011
Heading Towards Hidden Bay

It occurred to me last night as I was lying in bed that yesterday would have been my first day back at work after the holiday break. But instead of being at the office, I found myself spending the day at Deception Island, doing a plankton tow, hiking up to Neptune's Window, walking amongst old whaling stations and then doing a "penguin dip" - a jump into the chilly waters of Whaler's Bay and then a luxurious dip in a homemade hot tub with thermal waters. And during the time when I would have been taking transit home, I was hiking up and down a volcano.

It takes me a while to process all of the incredible things that we do in one day and I want to be able to translate all of these awe-inspiring experiences into ...something. But you know how they say "A photo is worth a thousand words"? Well, neither my photos nor my words could do this place justice. Because I'm here now and I'm completely and utterly speechless.