Tuesday, March 15, 2005
How Very Hollywood


My first ever glam headshot.

Remember when I so very briefly mentioned going to an audition for a film a few weeks ago? I now have a good reason to flesh out that story for y'all now.

The audition was for a film called Sleeping Dogs and I have to give credit to J for forwarding the info to me, otherwise I would have never found out about it. The day before the audition, my new friend Erin took pretty photos of me and my dear friend Tudor helped out by giving me clear skin with his super Photoshopping skills. I had fun with my first ever set of headshots and was glad they only took 2.5 hours total to get them taken, touched up and printed.

I went to the audition not knowing what to expect. I had only ever done theater, amateur-amateur theater at that, and this was a film, a real film with a real director and producer and everything. They asked for headshots and a resume (I made the resume in 20 minutes that morning), I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. But I figured that I love acting enough to totally not care, so I gathered my guts and went anyway. I met people there who have been doing this kind of thing for years; people who had agents, people who were amateur-professionals or professional-amateur actors or however you want to say it. I felt nervous. I squirmed in my chair, fiddled with my sign up sheet, tried to act cool, like I had been doing this all my life.

Of course I wanted a part in the film, but I didn't expect anything at all. They were nice to me and said, "Great, thank you". They would be in touch through e-mail. A week passed and I wondered if they could tell when they watched the audition tapes over and over again. I wondered if they could see that I had no real training, that I had never taken classes (and really, I can't even remember if I had even gone to a workshop before). I was a girl who just knew that she liked acting and decided to audition for something one day. I got a part then and I haven't stopped since.

And it looks like I won't have to.

(Text is difficult to work with when trying to convey excitement, so read the next bit imagining me as excited, happy, anxious, honoured and giddy as you can.)

I finally got an e-mail from the producer which said the following:

Dear Shirley,

Thanks for coming out to read for Sleeping Dogs. We would like to meet with you again and plan to return to KW April 9th at the MTS. We will book appointments for these callbacks and provide script passages in advance by email.

I will be away until the 21st. Please return an email to me with your availability and we will do our best to accommodate your schedule for the 9th or an alternative date if necessary. I will contact you the week of the 21st to confirm.

All the best,
VS
Co-Producer


I GOT A CALLBACK!!!
*insert jumping around in room clapping hands and yelling "I GOT A CALLBACK!" here*

This.Is.SO.Neat. I can barely believe it and all I can think is I got a caaaaaaalllbaaaaaaaaaack. I can't believe it. I got a callback! For a film! A real film!

*breath*

But I return to humbleness here. I'm still not expecting anything from this because there's probably going to be people more talented than I when I re-audition. And who knows what will happen. I told friends that I went to and came out of the audition not expecting anything, that I was there purely for the experience. And it doesn't matter whether I get the role or not because already, this has been one heck of an experience.