Tuesday, July 05, 2005
From Cali, With Love

I was definitely awake for 23 hours my first day in Los Angeles because of the time difference - but it was worth it because I saw nearly everything that tourist needs to see in the city AND I got to do some things that local-y type people would too.

My host, Dave, was so superfantastic that I don't even have words for it. He took the morning off work to pick me up from the airport, drove me around to see all the places I wanted to see (coincidentally all the places he hated), took me to lunch, dropped me off at The Grove and Farmer's Market so I could shop (which I did - I got this dorky bright blue cowboy hat that I adore and yes, there will be photos upon my return). Then, more sight-seeing, a lovely Mexican dinner and more driving and seeing and then when we were exhausted, he gave me his bed to sleep in. Is that chivalry or what? The next morning, he took me to the beach and we walked all along The Strand, I got some sun and the Pacific lapped at my feet. After a Peruvian lunch, he drove me all the way to Orange for my conference.

Moreover, I did all that riding in a Mustang. A MUSTANG. It's nice. I've got photos to prove it.

Dave, obviously, is way too cool.

A caution though (and he wisely reminded me of this as I was gushing about how nice he is) - not everyone is like him. And this is true because he could have been a 75 year old rapist-murderer pretending to be a 24 year old nice-guy, but he wasn't. If you don't know what the big deal is, I met Dave online about a year and a half (two years?) ago through Annia and yeah, after not talking for months, I told him I was coming to LA and accepted his gracious offer to stay with him. It sounded crazy to my friends and family but I'm glad I did because otherwise, I'd probably be alone and/or dead in Inglewood right now. Travelling alone when you're a 21 year old sissy girl is probably not the best and brightest idea.

Anyhoo, I'm safe and sound in Orange right now, enjoying my seminar, and OH MY GOODNESS, do I have a story to tell you. Just wait a sec while I try to find the words (you know, the ones that aren't obscenities).