Monday, October 23, 2006
The Good Life

I'm surprised that I left a post that made me sound like such a brat up for so long. Not that I care an awful lot about how I portray myself on here [(re)presentation is such a tricky thing]; I guess I just surprised myself with my funky spending habits. I've always been grateful that I was never spoiled as a kid and that I came from humble roots (read: poor refugee parents who didn't know what allowance was), but I think that I confused 'making it on my own' with 'doing whatever I want' and now I'm paying for it, literally. However, the situation has righted itself in some sense, as I'm happy to say that within three days of making that post I managed to get myself employed with another job. I was blabbing about loose-leaf tea at the market on Saturday when the owners of the little tea shop overheard my obnoxious voice carrying over the din of customers and offered me a position at their new location. I happily accepted the offer and now I'm back to my tea snob self. Life is good.

Life is good, folks. And I know this is true because I say that even though I'm feeling awfully tired and wholly uninspired right now (I blame the horrible pumpkin spice latte I had during class tonight - my faith in chai has been reconfirmed once again). What else can life be when someone tells you to close your eyes, hands you a sharpie and then surprises you with two big pumpkins? I mean, I spent my Friday evening carving a kickass pumpkin beside someone else who was carving another kickass pumpkin, baking the seeds, making a poutine-salmon-veggie dinner, watching The Incredibles while munching on the baked pumpkin seeds and the most delicious zucchini bread, and then taking a bubble bath while having King Solomon's Mines read to me. Life is grand when being productive means not only making dinner and doing laundry, but also carving pumpkins, watching a movie and taking a bath all in one night.

I've been doing a bit of unplanned lifetsyle changing recently; nothing big, but I've always been a firm believer in that 'the little things make all the difference' adage. Like, flossing more and showering on a regular basis, getting regular exercise (hello! biking to school AND going to the gym - I never thought it would happen), cooking and eating healthy (ie: no frozen foods, more fresh fruits and veggies), spending less time in front of the computer (sorry Internet peeps, but this means no MSN and only checking email twice a day), and instead, spending quality time with quality people. Is this a super-cheese Back to the Basics thing I've got going on? Probably. It's been a while since I've been cheeso-beezo, so hear me out.

I love that my motivation for getting up really early in the morning is to make my roomster a delicious breakfast. She is so awesome that I actually want to get up forty-five minutes earlier than I have to so that I can make an omelette, fried tomatoes and English muffins and arrange them all on a pretty blue plate and serve it to her and pour her a glass of orange juice while she just sits there and enjoys it. She inspires me to complain less, stress less, work harder and cook more and stay active and healthy and environmentally conscious and be more understanding and less judgemental. I'm a firm believer in surrounding yourself with good people because they're the ones who make you want to be a better person who does something nice for someone else just because. And I have a lot of want to be better right now, so thanks to all the peeps who inspire me, keep me sane and off the meds, and want to think of a surprise that's cooler than two pumpkins (honestly, not much is).