Tuesday, December 26, 2006
Merry Christmas Yesterday!


Our tree this year (looking not unlike trees in years past) and a glimpse into how much my family loves decorating for Christmas. Note: garlands framing doorways and wrapping the banisters, Christmas/holiday banners and little snowmen hanging from the ceiling. And that's not even all. Not even close. (Not shown: mini Christmas village)

Last year, I was all bent up about how much Christmas sucked, but the day was saved by some good old fashioned family fun (read: disco dance party in the dining room after our holiday dinner - I had to dance with my fourteen year old cousin because I was the only 'adult' without a partner - talk about AWKWARD) and a fluffy bunny named Iced Capp. Unfortunately, the bunny has since died via munching on pesticide-poisoned backyard grass (my cousin didn't speak to my aunt for three days because he was so upset), so I was left bunny-less at dinner this year. Alas.

I managed to do all my gift-buying/making in just two trips to the mall this year, proving to myself that procrastination isn't so horrible after all. And instead of sitting on my floor wrapping 30+ presents for all my immediate family members (because they're too lazy to do it themselves!), I opted for bagging this year. I will hereby bag my gifts for the rest of my life. It's so simple, easy and delicious! AND, there's little to no mess!

Ingredients:
- gift
- holiday gift bag (choose an appropriate size, and try to get ones from the dollar store)
- coloured tissue paper (white tissue paper from the dry cleaners will also work)

Method:
- put gift in gift bag
- top with tissue paper

And you're DONE! Optional: To/From sticker tags you got for free in the mail.
There's no wrapping paper, no scissors, no tape, no numbing legs from sitting cross-legged on the floor for too long! no fuss! no muss! But much happinuss.

Yours truly got to flex her culinary muscle and took part in preparing much of the dinner this year (see: yummy mixed veggies, delish asparagus, ultra-creamy HAND mashed potatoes, and garlic bread made by HAND mincing garlic for 10+ minutes). I also took a stab at making sangria and I'm going to say it was a success because the whole punch bowl was drained by the end of dinner and half an hour later, my aunt was passed out on the family room couch. I suppose her drowsiness could also be attributed to the three other bottles of wine that we consumed with our meal.


Mmm...spiked and punchy.


This is my brother carving the turkey. I'm proud of him because he gets better at it every year, he always serves my dad the first slice and he's a pretty cool guy in general.

***

And on a note completely unrelated to Christmas, but very related to warm, fuzzy feelings that make me mush inside, here is a touching video from YouTube. Before watching, make sure you know what a kiwi is (the flightless bird, not the fruit).



Is it silly that an animated short totally made me cry?

***

PS: The tree also sings. Christmas carols. I'm not kidding.