Wednesday, April 19, 2006
I Need You So Much Closer

This is me all cool-ed up for the concert in aviator glasses that don't belong to me:



We got into line two hours before doors opened and since I'm so S-M-R-T, I didn't think to bring food or water or even stop at a gosh-forsaken fast food joint to eat SOMETHING, so I did what every die-hard Death Cab fan would do - I had 2/3 of a bag of beer nuts and a can of Coke for dinner. Thank goodness there was a guy selling the stuff beside the line because we all know that once I get in line, I don't get out (unless it's to buy expensive unhealthy food or to pee or to take pictures or to find info on being an extra in films this summer).

This is how close we were to the front of the line:



Oh baby. That's pretty darn close - that's what you get for lining up two hours in advance! Annnd I was so good with buying tickets that I actually got us FLOOR TICKETS (see? my neurotic obsessive-compulsiveness comes in handy!), so when we piled in, we were about five 'rows' of people back from the front of the stage. Wahoo!



The Cribs opened and let me tell you, they were super excellent. This may be slightly biased because I'm totally a Brit-rock girl, but whatevs. They're good. I hadn't even heard of them before 6pm that night and was pleasantly surprised to hear their Wakefield-England-awesomeness. My socks were thoroughly rocked. Go Brits!

Franz Ferdinand!

 

Also awesome. Boy, I sure suck at concert reviews, eh? I just looove everything so much. I have to admit that I don't follow FF at all, but again, I'm sucker for music that comes out of the UK, so these guys are a hit with me for shore. As much as I love these skinny, geeky, music loving guys, there's another music geek that I'm madly in love with even more:

 
 

I know you can't really tell that it's him - that's because I was so excited to be mere meters away from him that I couldn't stop shaking. Benjamin Gibbard! I want to have your children. That is all.

No! That's not all! Gah, there is so much that I want to say about this concert, but I find myself at a loss for words. Now, I've been to really good concerts before; Treble Charger put on a fun show, Matt Good was like a two hour musical orgasm, I swooned at John Mayer, the Backstreet Boys were still so cool, I had a frickin' blast with Yellowcard, and I was so close to Stars that I could see up their nostrils. But Death Cab for Cutie, oh Death Cab, you made me want to cry tears of utter joy at seeing you RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME singing some of my ultimate favourite songs. When A Movie Script Ending started, I thought I would fall to floor in pieces because I couldn't handle the gloriousness of it all. And oh! starting with Passenger Seat was SUCH a good idea and Marching Bands was unbelievable and I love how you can be so mellow and play Follow You Into The Dark because you guys are just that awesome and wow, ending with Transatlanticism was just wow.

Le sigh.

 
 

How is it possible that four wonderfully talented boys are right there on stage together and I can't even find one?

I hate that I don't know how to use my camera. I bought the damn thing nearly eight months ago and I still haven't read the manual. And the annoying part is that it's so tempermental in low light and guess what the lighting scheme for Death Cab's set was? LOW. Gaahhh. So now all I have are these fuzzy things that can't do any justice to the beautiful musical genius that is Ben Gibbard. Ben. How can you not love a guy with a name like that? Ben. Ahh. *melts*

 
 
 

In me. Your babies. I want.